Analysis of cdmNet and Medicare data by Monash and Deakin Universities1,2,3,4 have shown use of cdmNet is associated with:
- Improved clinical outcomes
- Improved quality of care
- Improved systematic care
- Increased review and follow up
A recent research study of cdmNet, published in the Medical Journal of Australia, was Highly Commended for the prestigious Sir Richard Stawell Memorial Prize for its clinical significance.
Improved clinical outcomes
Improvement in key indicators for patients with diabetes using cdmNet for 13 months or more:1
- Lower HbA1c (p < 0.05)
- Lower LDL, Total cholesterol (p < 0.05)
- Lower BP (p < 0.05)
Improved quality of care
Improved processes and clinical outcomes for cdmNet users.
Adherence to best practice care:2
- 90% compliance with assigned tasks for patients with GPMP/TCA Reviews versus 50% compliance otherwise (p < 0.001)
Improved systematic care
Increased use of chronic disease management items after using cdmNet:3
- 200% increase in GP Management Plans (GPMPs)
- 200% increase in Team Care Arrangements (TCAs)
- 600% increase in GPMP Reviews
- 360% increase in TCA Reviews
Increased review and follow up
GPMPs and TCAs without regular review are ineffective.
Increased reviews and follow up by cdmNet users:4
- 80% of GPMPs/TCAs are regularly reviewed compared to less than 20% nationally
1 Wickramasinghe LK, Schattner P, Hibbert ME, Enticott JC, Georgeff MP, Russell GM, Impact on diabetes management of General Practice Management Plans, Team Care Arrangements and reviews, Med J Aust 201; 199: 261-265.
2 P. Schattner, et. al., Does information and communication technology (ICT) improve chronic disease management?, Proceedings of the Primary Health Care Research Conference, July 2012, Canberra, Australia.
3 CDM-Net: A Broadband Health Network for Transforming Chronic Disease Management, Final Report, March, 2010
4 L. K. Wickramasinghe, et. al., Factors contributing to the development of team care arrangements for patients with type 2 diabetes, Proceedings of the ADMA Conference, September 2012, Melbourne, Australia.